Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche!

I made this recipe for my brother and sister-in-law the other day. She has been in the hospital and was instructed to eat foods high in iron. Sun-dried tomatoes and spinach were everywhere that I looked online when looking for high-iron recipes. This led me to quiche recipes. Well, quite a few people asked me to share the recipe on here, so I will!

Please excuse the photo quality. We were on our way out the door and I couldn't find my camera, so I snapped this one with my Android. Not a terrible cell phone photo, but the lighting is not good!

The original inspiration was this recipe, but I modified it quite a bit.

You will need the following ingredients:
  • 1 9-inch pie crust
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • Onion Powder (I did this instead of onion chunks because my brother doesn't like chunks of things usually)
  • 5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (I actually used a bit more than a cup)
  • 1¼ cup milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1½ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • Salt and pepper
Here's how to make it:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Place your pie crust in your pie dish. Using a fork, prick the bottom and the sides of your crust. Bake the crust about 15 minutes. It should be a golden brown. Remove from the oven and set it aside to cool.
  3. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
  4. Melt the butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion powder.
  5. Add in the sun-dried tomatoes and the spinach and cook until the spinach wilts. Take the pan off the heat and set it aside.
  6. Whisk the milk, eggs and cheese together. Add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. I went a little lighter on the pepper.
  7. Spread the cooled spinach over the pie shell. Pour the milk/egg mixture over the spinach and tomatoes.
  8. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the quiche is golden brown and spongy.
The recipe should serve about 8, depending on how you slice it.

I have not tasted it yet, but I got rave reviews from those that did! I will definitely be making one of these for my husband and I soon!

***PS- Don't forget to enter the Shabby Apple Giveaway! It ends tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I wonder if you can use frozen spinach that has been thawed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Came over from Made By You Monday! This looks great! Would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party going on now! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete