Monday, October 3, 2011

Easy Peasy Curtains!

My girl room is in the basement, on the back of the house. It has a window that does not have any blinds or window treatments on it at all. And me being the little chicken that I am, it creeps me out to spend time in there at night with a big black window gawking at me. Even if Michael is downstairs with me. I have been meaning to put something, even if it was just a sheer curtain to make me feel less creeped out. But it is kind of hard because it is a half window, and we have a drop ceiling in there.

The other day I was hit with a stroke of genius! My friend Priscilla had gotten me these light lime green sheer curtains at a church yard sale a while back. The original intention was to hang them in our master bedroom, but I have not gotten curtain rods for that room yet. The color matches the new file cabinet (well enough) so I decided to use them in the girl room instead!

This very well may be the easiest curtain-hanging project that I have ever done. Now I know...its not for every window type. But in this situation, it was the best solution, due to the fact that I did not want to spend a penny on this little jobby of mine! I had this big fat ball of twine-rope. Its a bit sturdier than most twine. Perfect!
 The curtain panels have a small pocket at the top, that I think would have been tight for a curtain-rod anyway!
 Stringing the string through by itself proved to be futile. It was taking forever to wiggle it along. About 5 inches in, I got another bright idea! I tied it to an ink pen and used it like a big needle to thread the rope through the opening!
 Like so:


 Now here is what necessitated this style of curtain hanging. We have a drop ceiling that comes down about 2 inches in front of the window. This makes it hard to have a curtain rod, but works out perfectly for what I wanted to do!
 I placed a flat headed nail at the same height on both sides of the window, just high enough that the drop ceiling would hide it from sight.
After that, I simply tied a good, tight knot to each nail, stringing the rope and curtain across the window. I did not pull it quite tight enough, so I actually taped the center! Ghetto, I know! I just didn't like it to sag...
And here is what I ended up with!
 I betcha wouldn't know that is a string from a distance! Especially if I had not told you so! I am really happy with the way that it came out. The panels really are more green than they appear here! I promise!
 I tied the sheers to the side with an extra piece of the twine-rope. This way I can just untie it if I want them to close at night. I know, I know. You can see through sheer curtains. But it gives me some peace of mind!
 It is so cozy down there now! I just love the way that this room almost always has sunshine. It is probably the sunniest room in the entire house. The way that the sheers pick up the sunlight is so bright and cheery. And I love that the room is slowly, but surely, getting less and less nekked!

8 comments:

  1. I think that was a great idea you had. Necessity is the mother of invention. I think that's the way that quote goes. This reminds me that I need to get to work in my craft room instead of reading blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for covering a hard to cover window! I am a fellow Virginian and found your blog via "Addicted 2 Decorating". I'm now your newest follower and would love to have you follow me too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool idea. easy enough too. thanks for sharing and Found you through totally tuesday. newest gfc follower
    Hope u will check us out too at http://twinswithtots.blogspot.com/
    Be well
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea - love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea! It's kind of a nice cottage feel, with the twine. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fix! That is sooo clever! I would feel creeped out too at night with a window!

    ReplyDelete