Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Winter Forest

So, I was a bit late on the Christmas craft train this year. But I did decide to make a little last minute decor that I can leave up through the winter! It is a super easy project that will take maybe 15 minutes, if you wanted to give it a try.

First, I took some scrap poster board:
 And I cut it and rolled it into a little cone.
 After hot gluing the edges, this is what I had.  A little white Christmas tree!
 So I took some bronze and silver ink stamp pads that I had laying around.
 And I rubbed them all over my little tree. I ended up going primarily with the bronze on this one because it showed up better and I just really liked the way that it looked.
 I did the same process to make another little tree.
 For this one, I hot glued rhinestones all over it. I actually had the intention of covering the entire tree, but I ran out of rhinestones so I had to improvise a bit. Maybe someday, I will buy a large bag of them and make a fully bedazzled little tree. But we were going with free and quick for this project!
 I made another cone, this one larger than the other two, to give some dimension.
 For this one, I had a strip of glitter tape left over from our Christmas cards.
 I simply wrapped it around the bottom and middle to give me tree number three!
 For my fourth and final tree, I wanted to do something else with the bronze, but didn't want to cover it like before. So I pulled out a swirl stamp that i used on our wedding invitations and stamped bronze swirls all over the tree.
 Here is it with just one stamp. If you do this, be sure to allow drying time before touching or it will smudge. I learned that the hard way!
 And here are my cute little mixed metal trees!
 Once al of the Christmas decorations are down and we transition to the winter mantle, they will be on there in some form such as this:
 For now, they are on the end table with the quatrefoil vase! They turned out so cute! I lurve them! :)
You could totally buy pretty scrapbook papers and do this without having to decorate them and I just may do that when I get around to it! For now, they are perfectly precious the way that they are!

Tomorrow's DIY Thursday is an awesome one! Be sure to check back! Also, we are in the process of selecting which shade of warm brownish-tan we are going to paint the living room and let me tell you, this makes me SO excited! It is the central room of our home and probably the only one that had not had some decor TLC! (At least it is the only room that's walls are still just off-white). So, while I have a billion things to do tonight, I will probably spend the evening prepping it for paint so that I can get this show on the road! Can't wait to share!

5 comments:

  1. Katie these are beautiful, thanks for the tutorial. Wishing you the best this holiday season & a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful and so simple! Can't wait to make them next year. Maybe I'll get a jump start for 2012 and make them this winter.

    Love your blog, looking forward to following.

    Cheers to 2012! Best wishes for a wonderful New Year!

    Mary @ sweetlittlebluebird.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so pretty. I have just the place to display them. It's still winter so I just might make some today for some decoration.

    I'd love for you to link up and share: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-twenty.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! They're so simple and elegant. I found you Thrifty Decorating.Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

  5. an incredible percentage! I’ve genuinely forwarded this onto a colleague who changed into accomplishing
    a piece homework on this. And he in reality provided me breakfast due to the fact that i stumbled upon it for him…
    lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank you for the meal!! However yeah, thanx for spending time to speak about this
    difficulty proper here in your blog. Wow, first rate weblog format! How prolonged have you ever been running a blog for?
    You made running a blog look smooth. The general appearance of your internet site is first-rate, in addition to the content
    material! Hey! I could have sworn i’ve visited this blog before but after browsing thru a number of the posts i realized it’s new to
    me. Though, i’m in truth glad i got here throughout it and that i’ll be ebook-marking it and checking once more frequently! Nicely
    i’m not writing all that another time. Anyways, just desired to mention fantastic blog!

    Here's my website : -- 부산오피
    (jk)

    ReplyDelete