Saturday, March 19, 2011

Custom Chalkboard Paint

Did I miss something?? Have I been living under a rock? I have been dying to chalkboard paint something but have not found the right project to use it for. So I was just blog hopping around while working in my cube on this beautiful Saturday and I have seen all of these colorful chalkboard walls. Not just the plain green or black (don't get me wrong, I love the black!). So I started stalking around in Google to see how these people are getting colorful chalkboard paint. And you will never guess! Or maybe you will because I have missed the boat. Martha Stewart....good ol' Martha...has a recipe for custom chalkboard paint! You can see if from the Horse's mouth here. This is the gist of it:

Get 1 cup of flat paint...any color that you want. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded grout. Mix well and break up the clumps. Paint it on the wall in thick even coats. Let it dry and then sand it with 150-grit sandpaper. And then you just wipe it with chalk like you do the normal stuff. How awesome is that?!?! I can assure you that you will see this in my girl room when its done. This is such a great idea! And we have most of a gallon of delicious chocolate brown paint that we used for tiny half bath. Guys, I can't wait to show you this basement. Its phenomenal. Really.

One of the blogs that I have been oodling over today where I saw this was Liz at Bon Temps beignet. (click her name to visit her blog. Its amazing!) She did this in her entryway. I LOVE it!
 And here is Martha's chalkboard calendar wall. I love it!
Oh the possibilities! I will let you guys know how it goes!!!

2 comments:

  1. That's incredible, that you can make it yourself. I just saw on a blog where there are quite a few different colors now, I didn't know. I thought black and green were the only options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! Thanks so much for the mention :)

    A word to the wise, don't use those new chalk pens/markers. They don't do well on homemade chalkboard paint. They're such a pain in the you-know-what to wipe away! Otherwise, I love the wall. It's fun to decorate for the seasons, holidays, and to write messages to guests. It's always a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete