Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One last bathroom surprise!

So I am writing at 5:00pm when I was supposed to work until 5:30pm. You want to know why? Because outside of our house has turned into a beautiful bunch of white and my office sent us home early! Not as early as I would have liked...but I'll take what I can get! I did get stuck in a ditch. But it was my own. Which is a blessing in that my hubby and neighbor came right away to help. But it tore up our front yard. Oops! I still have not gotten this snow driving thing under control. Its so beautiful though! And I am happily blogging from my favorite hubby hoodie in my warmest blanket. Yay!
And the view from our bedroom window!
And I had to share some exciting news with you! We made our first purchase toward refinishing the basement! We got tile for the bathroom and laundry room at Lowe's. We went in just to see how much things were going to cost us. And then we saw this really nice beige tile just like what we were looking for on sale for a bargain! We only got two boxes the first night and then hubby went back and got these:
Now to share a really easy project that I think totally finishes the bathroom! And it was free! First, I started with a Carnival Cruises cup. We had a ton of them from the honeymoon and I really like the shape of them.
I took this little cutie down to the spray paint station and put a coat of the Krylon White I had left from another project on there.
The logo was SO hard to cover. and I am really impatient. But another few coats and a couple of days of drying and this is what I got.
I looove the little knob detail at the base! It was driving me batty that you could still see the logo through it though. I am not okay with this. This is supposed to look classy! So I took some hemp (jute...whatever you want to call it)
And started wrapping it at the knob, securing it every few inches with a bead of hot glue. (this part was very tedious but so worth it in the end!)
The I took the grass that was formerly in the bottle and folded the wire stems (I was too lazy to find wire cutters)
And here it is in its new home!
It is so perfect for the space!
Who knew that a cup, some grassy stuff, spray paint and a little jute could turn out so cute!
Sigh. Its just what the room needed. I think I may be done in there for a while! I just love the way that the jute both covers the logo and also ties it in with the towels. And the best part....had I payed for the supplies it still would have only been about $8! You couldn't buy something that looks the same as this for anywhere near that amount! I love love LOVE it!

Also, the blog is almost at 650 views. When we get close to 700, there may be a giveaway! You better start following/subscribing so you don't miss it!









21 comments:

  1. Hi there! Stopping over from TDC to say hello! I'm so impressed with what you did what that Carnival Cruises glass. I would've gotten all impatient after a hundred coats of spray paint and... appliqued something on it or something. But it wouldn't have been cute. :)

    My husband and I are redoing our house like this too! Lots of fun times ahead. Love what you're doing here, I'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just fabulous! i have all kinds of beer mugs and pint glasses that i get from work, and i never thought of doing something like this with them! great job! cant wait to see what you do next!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and clever project. Looks like you have an even bigger one ahead with the tile - what fun and how exciting. Stopping by from Thrifty Chick to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the carnival glass is cool! congrats on your house and your new blog! I bought a house in May and started my blog in September. Its awesome, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new decor piece for your bathroom. Very thrifty and very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie!!~ Welcome to blog land. I have started a quest as well to help some new bloggers along. I have a coffee chat tuesday series you can see under my header...some very valuable info. Also, Monday I am doing a newbie Linky party, ALL new bloggers like your self. Hope to see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute idea! love how the jute looks with the white :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a perfect example of making something fabulous out of nothing!! I love your ingenuity. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Fingerprints on the Fridge. This absolutely ingenious! I bet I have three or four souvenir glasses in my cabinet right now, just taking up space. I seriously love this! Thanks for posting it!
    lifeofperks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this is so cute! What a great re-do. My husband has a glass like this I might have to use. ;) I found you through Winter Blues Wednesday.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. O.M.G....This is great! I have several Carnival cups! I may have to do this! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no beautiful Carnival glasses, but I used old jars I have been saving. Did the same thing you did and they turned out SO cute! THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this! I love any idea that involves taking things you already have around the house and turning them into something fabulous like this! SO Cute and definitely gave the room a spa feel! Have a great weekend!:)
    ~Crysta from HomemakerinHeels!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. I have a few of those cups hanging around here too! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drats! We just took glasses like that to Goodwill. I just might have to go buy them back. :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a cute idea! Very clever to cover the words with jute, and I think it adds some nice texture. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there...surfed over here from TDC and I love, love, love what you did with the glass. I know I have some weird shaped glasses from souvenirs and hate to get rid of them because of the memories. This would let me transform them - yet I would still remember what they are from.
    Super idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute idea and I have.a ton of those glasses from.past cruises. I've always found that when something is hard to cover, logo or stencil use silver first. Spray a little silver on the logo and then paint.

    ReplyDelete